Everyone loves this quick and easy breakfast. My wife loves this for breakfast in bed! My take adds vanilla extract to add to the sweetness. This recipe makes two slices.
- 3 medium free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 2 slices of bread (sliced white bread is fine)
- Vegetable oil
- Icing sugar for dusting
This only takes about 10 minutes and is really straightforward.
- In a flat bottomed container (such as a roasting tray) whisk together the eggs and vanilla bean paste.
- Add the two slices of bread to soak up the egg mixture. After a few minutes flip the bread over to soak on both sides.
- Add a knob of butter and a little vegetable oil to a frying pan and heat gently until bubbling. You can use any unflavoured oil here, it will stop the butter from burning.
- Keep the heat at medium add one slice of bread to the pan. This will work much better doing one slice at a time in a pan slightly larger than the bread.
- Flip the bread after a minute or two once the bottom is golden. Then repeat with the other slice.
- Once both slices are cooked transfer to a plate and dust with icing sugar.
This can be served simply as is, or with fruit and Chantilly cream if you want to turn this from a breakfast to a dessert!