This pesto is really easy to make and is great with pasta. Alternatively, I really like to use it instead of a tomato sauce on a tart or pizza!
- 150 grams Roasted red peppers (from a jar)
- 120 grams Olive Oil
- 120 grams Tomato purée
- 20 grams Almonds
- 10 grams Pecorino cheese
- 1 teaspoon Chilli flakes
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Lemon juice to taste
The method for this one is really easy.
- Start by chopping up the peppers and garlic and grating the cheese. This just helps the ingredients blend together more easily.
- Add the peppers, garlic, chilli flakes, tomato purée and cheese to a blender and blend it all together. Add the olive oil until you reach the desired consistency. You might find that you don’t use all of the oil.
- Remove from the blender to a mixing bowl.
- In a dry pan toast the almonds until they are golden brown, then chop them roughly and mix them into the pesto. I like to add these at the end as they will add bits of crunch and interest. If you put them in the blender they will be completely turned to dust.
- Finally season with salt and pepper and lemon juice to taste.
You can alter the method above to use either a pestle and mortar or simply chopping the ingredients. This will give you a chunkier result, which you may prefer!